March 04, 2017

My Calling to Vietnam


I've chosen a destination for my Fulbright ETA (English Teaching Assistant) application: Vietnam.

The questions remain for myself and the evaluators: 
Why this country?
Why do you wish to teach English in this country? (as opposed to being a tourist)
What are your qualifications to teach English in this country?

The glaring obvious reason of this choice is that I'm first generation Vietnamese-American. However, it's not all that simple... I've never had an impulse to visit Vietnam, I've even been afraid of the idea, until now. Perhaps it was my parents' stories of their trip back to Vietnam and other parts of Asia last year (My dad photographing over Da Lat, Vietnam on the left!) that sparked my interest and my own research in Asian American literature last semester, but I think it's time to connect with my culture.



I come from a community in Southern California nicknamed "Little Saigon." When I talked about my teaching experiences, it was actual a bilingual religious education that we taught - Vietnamese and English. I miss teaching bible study and it would not be a surprise if I thoroughly enjoyed teaching English in Vietnam.

I wish not to be just a tourist in Vietnam, although my parents did report that they themselves were treated like tourists when they returned, but an English teaching assistant because I'd really love to see the role of education in a different country. Somewhat a qualification and somewhat a challenge, my avid Vietnamese could definitely be improved in the Vietnamese classroom. If I go to Vietnam, I don't want to be a tourist in my homeland, instead I would be someone who returns to make an impact on the community.



No comments:

Post a Comment