February 28, 2017

Creating a Mentor/Mentee Relationship


Often times, scholarships or programs require references or recommendations. 
The Fulbright ETA that I'm applying for requires 3, meaning I have to really establish relationships with relatable professionals. 
I admit, I do have it a little easier attending a private university where professors actually know my name. 

Regardless, here are my tips at creating a mentor and mentee relationship:

1. Take initiative - schedule an appointment and communicate what you want to meet about.
Trying to create a mentoring relationship is quite a deeper talk than an exam question.  

2. Be able to present yourself and your goals and expectations clearly.
This will help you and will communicate to your possible mentor that you come prepared. This will also help be respectful of the mentor's time.

3. Keep your resume up to date and bonus points if you have a cover letter and brag list.
Brag lists are informal but actually so helpful if your relationship with your mentor is a little lacking and not fully developed yet. It can also help them concentrate on traits or experiences that you want to emphasis.

4. Visit your course professors during office hours at least once for the semester.
This tip was given by a panel of faculty at my school - this is just good practice for students not to go unnoticed. Students who come to office hours show that they care enough about their education or goals to go out of their way. And apparently, (most) professors do get excited when someone is curious enough to come.

5. Have multiple mentors. 
You really can't rely on just one mentor. For example, my program director who I've made a great bond with (partly because she's an amazing educator herself) finally took her long-withheld sabbatical; great for her, bad for me. Spread your seeds of faith in you among many people!

*Also, the picture! It's my friend and I being silly on Chinese New Year with our senior year AP Biology teacher. Is it clear we have a good relationship??

No comments:

Post a Comment